Friday, May 28, 2010

Fire in the kitchen!

This happened just moments back. I was showing off to my mom what a great cook I've become over the time she was out of town. Deep fried some french fries (Al Kabeer) which looked really bad after it was ready. Somehow it wasn't as good as the McCain french fries I used to fry. Utterly disappointed with that, I left the fries on a piece of paper for the oil to dry out a little. Unfortunately the stove was not turned off properly. Unaware of this, my sis, my mom and me went outside to have a chat. After a while my mom could hear some crackling noise. Thanks to her suspicion, she went to the kitchen to check out what the noise was and in no time I heard her scream out calling my name...

I knew something must be seriously wrong, so I sprinted to the kitchen to see the entire room blacked out and blazing flame on the stove lighting up the smoke filled air. The lights were on, yet it seemed like there was only light from the fire that lit the room up. We all panicked! The exhaust above the stove had melted. The frying pan was on fire. There was still a lot of oil remaining. We opened up the back door and the kitchen windows to let some of the smoke out. We lifted the pan using a tool and kept it on the floor. Tried covering it up with a carpet but it did not help, in fact it just ruined the carpet. With no other option left, we just waited for the fire to die out.

The tiles around the stove had blackened out but they could be wiped clean. Some switches above the stove stopped working. The exhaust light had melted down and the vessels involved in the incident were rendered unusable. We just waited for the smoke to evacuate and we stepped out for some fresh air after all the smoke we breathed in which left resides all over our faces and clothes. If it wasn't for my mom's suspicion, who knows what would have happened this day....

No comments:

Post a Comment